Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Whole 30 Challenge - The Dark Red Suit

Whole 30 Challenge

I have now completed two weeks of the Whole 30 Challenge.  It has been interesting as people around me begin to find out I am on a program.  Let’s see I have had eye rolling, been somewhat mocked for doing the latest “fad,” and been asked tons of questions!   I just chuckle because this is a quiet journey for me.  A journey to listen to my body, see what it is telling me.  The questions are awesome! 

The main question is, “What do you eat if you can’t have _____?”  The answer is quite simple; I can eat a ton of things!  I am not eating rabbit food all day long, actually quite the opposite!  I have NOT had a salad ONCE in the last 15 days!  Instead, I am enjoying experimenting with an array of vegetables that I never thought about trying!  It amazes me because I am not a picky eater, I really enjoy veggies!  Who knew there were so many that I had yet encountered!

The other question is, “Why are you trying to lose weight?” This journey really wasn’t about the weight loss.  It was about achieving my goal of a healthier me.  I was conquering the physical activities with a vengeance; however, I knew that I lacked the truly healthy eating side of my life.  This is a chance for me to see if I have the willpower to overcome my addiction to sugar and the comfort foods that hold me back!  I am discovering that I do!  As I conquer them, I realize I do not want to go back to that!  It is more than a 30 day challenge…it is a lifetime challenge!

I had an interesting question yesterday, “Have you really craved something…like ice cream?”  I really had to think about that.  There have been times when I have smelled a cookie baking or the pizza at a restaurant and my mind fills with wonder at what that taste would be like.  And last Thursday when it was the revival of ice cream Thursday in the office, I honestly just avoided the gathering because I didn’t know if my will power could take it that day.  But overall, I am not hungry. I am listening to my body that I do not have to feed it out of boredom or old habits. Fruit has become sweeter and meets the desire for my little (okay BIG) sweet tooth.  I see where I have come and I don’t want to go back!  Why???  Well funny you ask….

Because there is the dark red suit.  No, not Santa Claus!  About 2 years ago, when traveling with work, I stopped by a store and purchased two suits.  At the time, they fit but a little on the snug side for my liking!  The salesperson, being good at her job, successfully talked me into purchasing them both.  Truth is, I have never worn either suit.  And over the past two years, I would put them on in absolute disgust.  At one point, the skirt would zip but heaven knows I would not have sat down!  There have been times that the suits have been placed in the pile to go to Goodwill.  However, I am too frugal and prideful to allow that money to go to waste.  I knew that I would reach my goal of fitting back into those suits.  Not just squeezing in them like a sausage but they could and one day would fit in the manner I like!  Well today I decided to just see how close I was to being able to meet that goal.  Well…..I am wearing the suit to work today!!!!! 

So there have been weight loss benefits along the way.  Although not the MAIN focus along this journey, it is an incredible energizer when you are tired or that piece of chocolate starts calling your name. 

I am looking forward to the abundant energy that has been touting to come and remain in week three!  It definitely has been the roller coaster of energy!  On those mornings, when I hit the wall and I don’t want to get out of bed but I roll out and make it to the 6 AM torture…I mean bootcamp, the energy does come.  I know it is because the blood gets flowing.  BUT I also look at it as my body is screaming out to me, “YES, YOU CAN!!” 

So I will not give up on my body, I will not go back!  This, much like running, is such a mirror for my spiritual life right now!  I know where I was, I didn’t like it, so why would I want to go back there!!  Move ahead, move forward, one day at a time!!!

Here is to another dark red suit moment!!!

1 comment: