Monday, January 7, 2013

Prayer, Performance and Power

Prayer
Well the weekend began on a rather sad note for our church family.  Our Youth Pastor, Tom Burke, has been fighting a very long battle with cancer.  His earthly battle ended early Saturday morning and he now has a completely healed and strong body in Heaven. 

Also, a sweet friend from high school would be saying goodbye to her husband for a year as he was being deployed overseas.  My heart just broke for her and her three sweet children.  I am always so amazed at Military Families!!

With the Burke family, The Akers and so many of our sweet youth and their families on my mind, it was a perfect day to begin the #13in2013 challenge. 

Performance -13 in 2013
One of my goals this year was to complete 13 races in 2013; they were to consist of 10k, 15k or half marathons.  Our Moms Run This Town group had signed up to run in the "Winter Runnerland" Virtual Half Marathon on January 5.  Our organizer, Tammy Poucher, did an awesome job setting up and executing the run!!  (We had running bibs and a photographer at the end!!!)

I was a bit nervous as this would be my first race on the #whole30.  First, it was COLD (37 degrees...okay that is cold for Florida!!). More so,  I would not be able to do my normal race day morning eating routine!  But no complaining, just success!!!

Success One: Egg scramble and a banana to get some energy in the body!  I also had a banana and other fruit ready for the completion of the race! 

The race went awesome! We were on the St. Marks trail which is a nice flat course.  It is a beautiful scenic route, perfect for a morning of prayer for so many in need!  I completed the half in 2:05.  I actually felt pretty great!  Around mile 9, I was missing my sport beans.  However, more for an activity to do while running, then the need for energy.  I actually believe this #whole30 thing can be complete life-changer for me!

First race for 2013 is in the books! Next race is January 19 in Amelia Island!  I cannot wait for the Ritz, the run and the brunch following!!  BRING IT ON!!

Power
Well I knew the day would come, I am far too social to live in a cocoon for long!  I received an invite to go to a friend's house for a cookout.  OH NO!  I don't want to look like a freak but am I ready for this?  I went in with a strong will and determined attitude!  Praise God!  It was a success!  I will not say it was easy, there were scalloped potatoes, garlic bread and a cake that looked amazing!  I DID IT!!!!!  WOOT, that was not a hard core workout but that was very #fistbump worthy!!

Closing out the weekend was awesome, I was able to watch a sweet girl (one of my sweet friend's daughter) be baptized!  There is nothing more precious than seeing a child accept Christ!  Just gives me chills!  Then, Shannon (badassfitness.com) met several of us at EarthFare to point out foods to strengthen us and those that could detour us from our healthy living goals!  It was awesome!  My favorite part of the night, my entire family in the kitchen preparing food for the week!  We laughed, we cooked, we bonded!  I LOVE that #whole30 has challenged me and now I am reaping so many more blessings than just healthy eating!

Prayer
I will end as i started.  Thursday begins our "Run for God" Bible Study (www.runforgod.com).  We have 63 people signed up!!  God is soo good!  Praying for a great class that draws each of us closer to God as we seek Him and seek a healthier lifestyle!

Please join me in praying for the Burke family and the Fellowship Baptist church family.  Tom's funeral will be Wednesday. 

Have a strong week!  I had a sweet friend send me a text this morning with such an awesome quote that I must end with it:

"It is senseless to be physically fit and have a broken spirit.  You can't cover up a shattered self esteem.  Face your self and get healthy from the inside out."

2 comments:

  1. Okay so that quote pretty much is making me tear up at my desk! And I guess Tom is the one Logan McLanahan was referring to on her Facebook -- I am so sorry. We buried a family member who had died of cancer this weekend. He had the privilege of 80+ years, which Tom did not, but it still is sad and I hope he is pain free in Heaven. Great job on your half!!!!!! I agree the sport beans for me are as much about having something to do as they are for the nutrition! Can't wait to hear how Thursday goes. Paula (even though Google things I'm Tenley!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, Tom was Sweet Logan's youth pastor. Very sad! That quote really gave me chills today! It is something i have struggled with for so long! i have it printed and on my wall now!!!

    Have an awesome day!!!

    ReplyDelete