Monday, October 28, 2013

It's a slow fade...

It’s a slow fade….

As I look back over 2013, it has been a year of transformations!  Both in the physical and spiritual!  I have learned what works for me to accomplish what I want in my fitness and well-being.  I have begun to see growth in my spiritual life that I have missed over the past couple of years.  I have seen God answer prayers for new friendships and changes in friendships.  I became content in where God has me while still aiming to be more for Him. It is a year of positive changes.  BUT...I must be careful.  Because fading is possible....

Today is Monday…Assessment day for me at the gym.  After an awesome weekend in Savannah for a wedding (more to come on that in another post), I was not too excited.  If I am honest, I knew this day would come. 

You see about two months ago, I began to slip in my eating habits a lot more.  Sugar became a regular fixture in meals.  Snacks began to come and they weren’t always healthy.  Starbucks black coffee would be substituted with my favorite Chai.  When my daughter wanted frozen yogurt, I didn’t think she could eat it alone.  Plain vanilla became one with toppings of fruit to one with butterfinger. 

It was a slow fade.  It didn’t show up on the scale at first.  It didn’t show up in my measurements at first.  But I did feel it in my workouts.  I knew it because my energy was off.  I knew it because my normal was not so normal anymore! 

Then as the scale started to show a bit of a difference, I found myself making excuses.  I was PMSing, I hadn’t had a chance to go…well to the bathroom.  I was at a swim meet; It is football season. I had been on vacation, I had been to a wedding.

But then comes THE wake-up call.  That is today.  I am not upset.  It is the realization that eventually the slow fade of bad habits shows in every aspect of your life.  It will show in your daily choices and feelings and then on the scale and in the measurements.  That is when you get to make a choice.  Do I shape up or do I ship out? 

I needed that in my face!  I needed to remember how to get back on board.  This was not a shock.  This was not a sudden eye-opener, I knew changes needed to be made and I had made commitments to step it up….and then slipped!  But there comes a point when your mind, soul and body are ready to take the plunge and dive back in and get serious.  I believe I began to have this talk with myself yesterday returning from the wedding as a song played. 

The song was called “Slow Fade” by Casting Crowns.  It hit home in so many ways!  I’ve outlined it in my physical life but the song describes the spiritual.  I had 5 hours to really examine both. 

As I look at the song, God has used it to show me the slow fades in my life.  This morning it was used again as I heard a commercial at 7:30 AM on a normal TV station that used a curse word.  I see it in our political arena, I see it in our churches, I see it in relationships…everywhere I turn.  If you are like me, there are aspects of your life that you pause and wonder, "How did I get here? When did this happen? Who am I? Where did Allison (insert your name) go?" 

It is slow, it is gradual…it is devious.  Scripture says that Satan seeks us out to deceive and devour.  He knows he must be sneaky.  He must be slow.  He must be cautious so as to not allow our conscience to be too alarmed.  Then step by slow step, he introduces things that will draw us away from where we need to be. 

It doesn't show up at first.  But slowly, we know...we know it is showing up.  That fade is affecting our lives.  We can feel the connection with the Lord isn't what it once was.  The connection with family and friends are altered.  There is a barrier that can no longer have excuses as to why. Do we shape up or ship out in our relationship with Christ?

The question becomes, do I have a “scale and measurements” for my spiritual life that will be my wake up call.  Scriptures says that we will know we are saved by our fruits.  Our measurements are our fruits. But do I even know what a healthy fruit looks like. 

This week, I look forward to making right decisions in my eating again.  I desire to crave the foods that make positive impacts in my life.  I look forward to seeing those impacts over the next weeks.  Reminding myself that instant gratification is seen in the fact that I am doing what I should.  However, it might take a bit to show on the scale. 

Spiritually, I want to match that dedication.  As I eat as I should, I look forward to focusing on where I am in my walk.  Where I have come and where I want to go.   I look forward to digging in deeper in my walk with Christ and the Word so that I might be healthy in my examination of my walk and the fruits I bear. 

I will reinstitute the statement my mom taught me years ago.  Do what is right because it is right until it feels right! 

Are there places that you have faded?  Want to join me in the fight to fade no more!


Here is the video and  song lyrics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QASREBVDsLk

"Slow Fade"
Be careful little eyes what you see
It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
Be careful little feet where you go
For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you're thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day

Oh be careful little eyes what see
Oh be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh be careful little eyes what you see

2 comments:

  1. WOW we are totally on the same page today--this is so ME in the recent past---blaming injuries for bad habits--when should be doing just the opposite! Great write up!

    ReplyDelete