Monday, July 8, 2013

He WON the Race!!!!

At the beginning of the year, I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew.  My Best Runnin’ Buddy and I were going to begin a 12-week Bible Study that would overlap with my busiest time at work.  I couldn’t understand why I felt completely at peace about it.  The Bible Study went well.  The participation was great and there was a group that really bonded and it has been fun to continue running and seeing people from the Run for God Study remaining active!  This past week, I realized that God does everything for a purpose.  That He allows for us to be a simple part of His plan. 

This last week, a young man that I have known since almost his birth went to be with the Lord.  He was special to me, he was one of my youth, he was always full of smiles, he was 25.  Nathan was diagnosed with Fredrix Atexia when he was around 7.  He had been confined to a wheelchair for the last several years.  His speech had begun to be affected.  However, his smile and laugh were never touched.  They only got brighter every single day!  He sang out to the Lord every Sunday in church.  There was no one else he loved to hear preach the gospel more than his daddy. 

When we started the Run For God Bible Study, there was Nate and his Dad! They would join us in the freezing cold for our group runs!  He would bundle up and smile the whole way!  I loved everything about that…okay except his UGLY Georgia Bulldog sweatshirt!!! 

The entire study focused on running your race and finishing your race.  I never realized that every step we took in this group bonding would be preparing us to celebrate the fact that Nate would finish his earthly race! 

On July 2, Nate no longer needed a wheelchair or assistance with anything on earth.  He ran his race.  He busted heaven wide open with a new body and one that could run on streets of gold!  He didn’t need a couch to 5k plan to run either!  He sprinted faster than any Olympic sprinter could!  There is one thing that I do not think changed a bit; I know that smile and that laugh will echo in heaven every day!  I could see him, as I ran later that morning, laughing telling me to pick up my pace!!  I am sure there would be some Gator / Bulldog joke in there too! 

You see, God let me be a participant in a Bible Study that joined us in growing our Christian walk and expanding physical exercise/running.  What I realized on Friday was that I was able to give memories to a father and son.  The greatest joy in a time of suffering is to hear a father say he would never give up that last run they did together. 

It made me pause to think.  Do I let a busy lifestyle or clutter in my life take away opportunities that God has for me!  Do I miss the opportunity to make memories with family and friends because I take for granted there will be another day? 

I was honored to sit in a celebration service and see hundreds of people pack a sanctuary to testify to a life that was lived to its fullest, it exemplified Christ; it had struggles but kept its eyes on the prize!  Nate, you were an example to me!  Every run I take from this day forward will have an extra smile thinking of how many miles you have run on beautiful streets of gold!!  Keep it up Dawg, I’ll need a coach when I get there!

Live this day to the fullest, run with passion and never miss an opportunity to make a memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment